Friday, July 6, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

HAPPY 4th of JULY to everyone!


What a joy it is to celebrate the 4th this year! It is wonderful to remember where America began and look at where it is today. This past year for school we studied American history and took trips to Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Williamsburg. We later took a trip through many of the southern colonies of the original 13 and saw the vast difference between the north and the south in just culture and geography. What a miracle it was to bring 13 vastly different states to come together and become one nation and yet that is exactly what happened.
Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, PA


Williamsburg, VA


A state along our 13 state Adventure...Arkansas


We spent the day packing for camp and traveling through MD to the state of PA. During our trip, we listened to Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry. It was the first time, we had ever listened to a book on cd for a trip and I would say it was a huge success. There was no whining for another movie, no fighting, either kids slept or listened and/or read the story.
Do I turn the page now?
Our faithful driver!!
Just want to be like my sister & brother!


In the evening, we celebrated with the Orr grandparents and even got to see a few fireworks. The kids were running around catching fireflies all night. David would have 4 or 5 on his hand at a time. Mary would capture one and not want to let it go. She wanted to keep it. Rachel just keep looking and smiling. The kids just looked so free to be themselves and have fun! It was a scene that brought tears to my eyes.
When in doubt, look for a boy running and you will find David!


A sweet time with family...It had been since Jan since we have been here.
One of her favorite spots


And it was all the more perfect watching the girls run around in their matching dresses I made. I did not learn very much about sewing growing up and over the past couple months many people have come up and asked if I sew clothes for my kids. I always responded no, but it got me thinking about the possibility. I also had thought about sewing the girls pillowcase dresses and anyways through many forms of encouragement I worked up the courage to sew them for 4th of July. My original intention was in June, but it takes me so much courage to sew that I made them July 3rd. However, I just stood smiling at the girls twirling and laughing in the shimmery dresses that were designed and made just for them!







Happy Independence Day from my family to yours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment